'A Place to Play' published September 2011 by Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie Publishers

Monday, October 17, 2011

Launched!

'A Place to Play' got its international book launch on Saturday 15th October at 'Rory's on Main' here in New Denver and once I could see that a few people were going to turn up I was able to relax and enjoy the occasion. After all I've never been to a book launch before so didn't know what to expect!

As it turned out the event was well received, people laughed in the right places, cooed over the photo of my brother and I from 1978, marvelled at the gall of the sinister scientists and clapped at the end. I'd like to think that the highlight if the evening for them was finally getting this most talked about book into their hands at last but I am humble and recognise that the bangers and mash followed by trifle were the talk of the evening.

I await now the reviews and the reaction to my story. Already I have been told that the plot unfolds in an unexpected fashion - "Surely as a principal you should write a novel in a more linear, compartmentalised way." Of all the comments and opinions to come I really do hope that readers like my characters as much as I do, particularly the plump Martha. I implied to one person who came to the launch that Martha was based partly on myself and her reply was "but you're not plump." True, I replied, and I continued that I suppose it was more that Martha liked learning and was a bit of a swot. Now that threw the Canadian as she did not know what a swot is!

It is proving hard to launch the book back in England as I can't visit the book shops and the time difference between my working day and that in England would mean I need to wake up at 5am which really isn't very easy for me now that the temperature is close to freezing at this time. My bed is too cosy and warm. To get to this stage in publication has been hard work and I feel I need a breather to recharge the promotional batteries.

In the meantime, the next novel awaits critical proof reading from a few friends and family. Inside they will also come across a version of myself- Nyree- who this time isn't a chocolate lover but does like a decent cup of tea!
Book lauch at Rory's on Main, Oct 15th 2011. Photo credit Jan McMurray, Valley Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment