'A Place to Play' published September 2011 by Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie Publishers

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Living in a valley of the literate

The Slocan Valley in which I live is renowned in BC for being a 'little' alternative. Over the decades of the Twentieth Century it has proven to be a safe haven for the Doukhobours from Saskatchewan (or indeed from present day Georgia) who had found that the government of that province did not provide then with the religious freedom that they had hoped for, a place that some Japanese Canadians resolved to start their lives again once their middle-class lifestyles had been taken from them during their internment here in World War Two, and for draft dodgers crossing the US border during the Vietnam War. Even today I find that many people of my generation have chosen to live here to escape the rat race of urban Canada.

The alternative outlook that some in this valley hold concerning our place in society has led to a thriving valley brimming full of talent in art, theatre, craft, music and literary output. Standards are high and with that comes local community halls full of beautiful voices, cafes lined with art in pastels, watercolour and oils, pottery and woodwork workshops advertised along road sides. You could well spend a week in the Slocan experiencing as much high "culture, darling" as you would in any of Canada's cities.

As the publication date of my novel gets ever closer (September 28th) I find myself getting slightly nervous. I suspect that here in the Slocan Valley, I am regarded as the principal of the school who is "not from around here" and of whom little is known. Once my novel is published and my neighbours start to read it they will see through a small window into me. 'A Place to Play' has subtle, yet present opinions that I hold on the role and purpose of schools, on the ever expanding European Union, on immigration control, on government policies on urban development and of course, on the place of play in childhood. In many ways letting my opinions be known is not what makes me nervous as I can easily stand by them and justify these opinions. It is the spot light I am placing myself under as I dare to call myself an author and a writer within this literate and cultural valley. There are better writers than me I am sure in this valley with a greater command of the English language but I hope that the story I have told is one that is listened to and that judgement and critique of the novel is not whether I should be allowed to call myself a writer but whether I can call mysef a storyteller and that my story as it is written, opens up discussion on what experiences our children are having in childhood.

1 comment:

  1. The Slocan Valley is full of a wide variety of characters, professions, attitudes and outlooks. However, what is clear is that 'it' has decided to remain behind the rat race of urban Canada, as you mention. It will be very interesting to see how your book is accepted, with its English terminology, idioms, sentiments and geography. However, many people here have roots in the England and Scotland so we may well find they have an attachment with the story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete